Friday, July 13, 2007
It's hard to be polite .
This evening during my walk back home, a car honked at me. I looked up and saw lots of fury hands waving at me. Apparently it's a car jammed packed with men.
What's your first instinct?
To wave back, flash a smile back or simply...ignore it.
If it's in Malaysia, I will probably act blind.
When I was back home not too long ago, a car kindly stopped to let me cross the road. Politely I nodded at it as a gesture of appreciation, and the next second a head popped up and shouted behind me: yo.. siao jie siao jie, deng yi xia, jiao shen me ming zhi????
Conclusively, good manners or subconscious provocative gesture? Debatable.
In New Zealand, I am not too sure how to respond.
I choose to ignore.
But I feel bad.
Lots of my friends got yelled at like: FUCK**G Asians.
At least I am lucky enough to miss this derogatory mocking. Furthermore, am mo langs are friendlier in an innocent kind of way, kan????
So I decided to be more jolly, waving back at them as if they are my long -lost old mates.
The last time I did that, the car stopped and a few men came out inviting me to join their party.
Instinctively I pulled out the same old trick, looking at them confused and signalled that I do not understand them. 'Me...no....Speak..no..English...me..u ..is...who.' That did the trick and pissed them off.
So, I am yet to have the answer of 'how to s' in situation as such.
Labels: Sentiments
* Dreaming is like lollies to the souls_
4:47 AM