* YOUR daily dose of CAFFEINE

Monday, June 25, 2007







What's your favourite magazine???

I bumped into Cleo when I was 15. My sister used to buy it monthly. A big chunky book for RM 6.50. It was cool to see all the pretty models and clothes ( Pardon me but my English was so poor that I couldn't grasp any sense out of the articles)

As I grew older, I found Cleo pretty unrelated to me. The fashion part is OK, but I don't really fancy articles like : 15 ways of upgrading your sex life, How to seduce Him/Her...that kinda tips. Yet to be my cup of tea.



I switched to Marie Claire. A thick fat one as well, give you the deceiving impression that it may worth the money NZ 7.50 after all. Well, it does have great stories like 'Living in Iraq' etc that may motivate you to strive harder in impoverish environment or scrimp and save at a subsistence level of living. But, almost 70% of the magazine is make up of advertisements of cosmetics and skin care products. Strictly speaking, the gist of it is merely 3 0%.






So, I get bored. I culled TIMES. I have to say I was a lil' bit ambitious and paid NZD120 for a 6 months-subscription. Sigh. First of all, their articles are super long. The advance language may put you off.The writers use lots of fancy terminologies but as long as you figure out the meanings you will be sweet coz they use them repetitively throughout the articles. ( HAH!) The problem is, it's not really a what I called 'Neutral' magazine. TIMES is quite 'anti-Bush'. So what they commented may be biased. Most of the articles are erred towards America 's news, rather than targeting international news.





I bumped into The Listener. Well, it took me a whole month to finish the thin magazine. That explains how boring the magazine is. The majority of it is about Economics ,consumer news and political issues in NZ.

Reader Digest. GEEZ. I won't buy another one in NZ. One of the life stories sections is something like...'THE DAY WHEN IT WONT BE THE SAME AGAIN'. It provoked my over-working imagination assuming that some pivotal figure must has died. It turned out to be a man talking about the depression he suffers over his hare who died of ischaemic bowel disease. Another one almost worships her pet dog. New Zealanders are too lucky to worry about something else.





Now... TA!DA~~~~ NEWSWEEK. FINALLY I found a magazine that I fancy. News week is just JUST RIGHT.Adequate mixture of economics, politics, ITs and fashions. It has lots of interesting world news and just right to boost up my general knowledge. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT~






After all, juxtaposing all the magazines that I've read, I still like DOREAMON. SIMPLE, IMAGINATIVE and INNOVATIVE. HAHAHA


Labels:



* Dreaming is like lollies to the souls_ 2:38 AM