Thursday, June 28, 2007
Finally after 6 weeks, our group project has finally completed.
We have our presentation to the Department this afternoon and earned very positive comments.
I must say I did not put too much input in this as I am happily enjoying my self-declared holidays. *GUILTY*
Anyway, we are looking at the parents' understanding of the new amendment of Section 59 regarding smacking your kids, or loosely referred as the 'anti-smacking bill'.


Can you believe it? The bill has passed and is enacted last week.
HOW ON EARTH are we going to discipline our kids now when
the use of any physical force for CORRECTION is illegal. New Zealand is one of the 5 countries that passed this bill, and personally, I think it's completely insane.
Although NZ is one of the countries with the highest domestic violence cases reported, this bill is just going to get the police busy and locking up caring parents who has great hearts to save their kids from getting rotten and wasted. Understandably, the crux of this cynical legislation is to condemn a small proportion of abusive parents and save those poor unprotected young souls, but are we overdoing it?
The Green Party XXXX( I won't want to end up like JEFF OOI, so anonymity is preserved) who proposed the bill intends to ' create a safe and protected living environment to the children', I think it will create more havocs rather. One anonymous commented that her 4 years old kid threatened that it's illegal to lay her hand on him when she is trying to discipline him for his misconduct. Another parent sarcastically mentioned that she won't be expected to do anything if her child throws tantrums in the supermarket. I cringed at the thought of a child crying on the top of her/his lungs with 120 HZ voice that can break the glass. URGH.
BUT..the use of reasonable force is allowed if it is
inconsequential and is for
prevention rather than correction. XXXX refused to comment further on REASONABLE FORCE.
Right. Kicking a child's ass or smacking on the face sounds like applying reasonable force to me. I am sure some people will look horrified and drown me in their disgust. See? How could she not define the word REASONABLE as we creatures function with subjectively variable brains. Some has peanuty brains, some have brains as big as you-know-what.
My mum used to smack me.
My dad used to can me.
That did not leave any negative implications on me. That makes me wanted to grow up and have kids, so that I can have spank them if they get naughty. You know. POWER and AUTHORITY are GOOD....(?? Erhm. What did I just sayy??!)
No , seriously, kids need to be punished for their mistakes. Yeah, of course it's justifiable to use those wooshy tactics like TIME-OUTs, or talking senses into their brains
nicely. But c'mon! Their brains are still developing. They can only absorb limited amount of morals. You don't learn unless it hurts. Instead,you won't even forget.
Furthermore, corporal punishment will stimulate the little brains of theirs, to excite the ability to either:
a) learn from mistakes
b)plot clever dirty ideas to avoid the punishments ( that's why I believe that my IQ is more than 120 because I am trained to be a good plotter since young. HAHA)
After all, you won't want the police /government/public to get involved in the way you discipline your kids, do you?What are parents for if they can't even discipline the kids in an effective, fast and morally sound way? I am talking about corporal punishment for good, for discipline and in a HUMANE way.
Can you imagine how kids in NZ are going to be?
I can.
They will be a bunch of strawberries that experience less physical sufferings.
Personally, I think more people will lose in fights.
Cry when they break their nails, and fainted at the sight of needles.
More people will ask for anesthesia for flu injections. PAIN , even a minimal one, is too much for them to bear.
And lastly, can you imagine a childhood without any excitements like run-aways and hiding in certain places where your parents cant hunt you down to beat you up? The adrenaline pumping moments when they were so close to your hiding sanctuary that you didn't dare to breathe? The guilt but phyrric victory when they got you ONLY after an hour of mad searching? The faking cries (at least I did) just to get sympathy from daddy who always (stupidly or not )got cheated?
Ah...that's the beauty and juice of a childhood.
Labels: Sentiments
* Dreaming is like lollies to the souls_
5:17 AM