Monday, August 10, 2009
Sometimes little things just make me happy.
I was on-call yesterday. Being on call for 36 hours on a Sunday (and public holiday some more) is just so depressing.
I stared down at my newly pedicured nails and I smiled. I felt happy. Talk about the power of pedicure! HEHEHE.
I stared at my phone thinking about the previous conversations I have with my loved ones..I felt happy.
I stared at the sumptuous dinner my registrar bought for us to celebrate Singapore's National day....I felt happy.
You know which kind of patients are most difficult to deal with?
Doctors or their relativesThere is this doctor who is hospitalized and has a non medical brother who kept bugging me.
He requested to see a senior doctor after my junior spent 15 minutes talking to him.
I attended to him feeling very shitty, knowing that this kind of relative is nothing but trouble.
His attitude was pleasant and all that but....
'Dr , I counted by brother's respiratory rate when he was sleeping. It is 24-26 per minute. It is quite fast! I am worried about Pulmonary embolism.'
I raised my eye brow, threw a few glances at the patient who was sleeping SOUND FULLY and definitely not in any form of distress at all, thinking how to explain in layman terms to this paranoid man.
'Well sir, I addressed your concern ( HELL YEAH), but you see...there isnt any symptoms suggestive of pulmonary embolism at all! You see, most of the time patient will be breathlessness, the air saturation is unsatisfactory and they will have fast heart rate if he REALLY suffers from it.'
'But...his respiratory rate is 24! It's quite fast, dont you think so. I am afraid it's a silent pulmonary embolism. I consulted my wife who is a doctor and she asked to do a chest x ray and bloods.'
For once second I felt like choking the 'kek kiang' wife. Why cant she be the doctor in charge then??!! I bet my respiratory rate is 30 now due to frustration.
'Look, pulmonary embolism is definitely at the very very bottom of my differentials.' ( and c'mon, he is fat! He probably has sleep apnoea!)
I spent 20 minutes discussing with him 101 reasons should he not worry about pulmonary embolism and hinting to him that his brother is just fat and may suffer from airway obstruction during sleeping and THAT indeed is not an emergency. He should just try to lose some weight!
5 minutes later the man requested to talk to me again!!
My junior and I locked ourselves in the doctor's room refusing to leave as the man was standing
outside waiting for us.
Finally, out of desperation, we aimed for the door, flung it open and shouted simultaneously 'COLLAPSE! COLLAPSE!LET"S GO!!" and raced to the exit,ran through a few flight of staircases and rushed to the conference room where our dinner was served.
The nurses were laughing behind us thinking that we are just a pair of clowns.
Anyway, the call went on pretty smoothly and I managed to go shopping the next day!
The little black dress, every girl needs to have one the least!!!

We dined in Kenny Rogers.
I still can smile after 36 hours being sleepless.

SL is glowing with love. Apparently she is going to begin her first real relationship soon. She is bubbling with joy. ;-)

Oh well...can't wait for weekend to come!
* Dreaming is like lollies to the souls_
6:22 AM